Thursday, September 6, 2012

Authentic Restaurant Style Salsa


So there are some major perks of being jobless in San Francisco. Obviously there is one major downfall and that is the lack of income, but other than that rather large factor, unemployment affords a lot of enjoyment. 

For example, it turns out that if you are a SF resident, the first Wednesday of every month you get to go to the zoo for free. Which I did yesterday with some new friends from Church. And a lot of other stuff is free to residents like the gardens in Golden Gate Park, certain museums on certain days, and there is always lots of interesting street or gorgeous scenery to take in.

So, while I will be thrilled to get a PR job again I am really enjoying myself right now (well I'm enjoying the times in between short bouts of panic attacks that I'll be unemployed forever).



Like today I decided to dust off the old blog and actually post about food. So I went to some local Asian markets and got a KILLER deal on all the produce I needed to make this salsa. The recipe is from my dad's former secretary who was from Mexico. I adored her growing up and thought that her calling me "mi hija" was a special nickname just for me and then was crushed when I realized she said that to all little girls.

She always brought chips and salsa to work and I would always chow down and even at seven years old I begged her to give my mom the recipe so she could make it. And so I spent part of today making this salsa and sitting at the kitchen table with Andrew dipping chips right into the serving bowl, scarfing it down.




Authentic Restaurant Style Salsa
Combine the following in a bowl:
  • 1-2 jalapeno peppers (depends on how much spice you like), chopped
  • 3 small green onions, chopped
  • 3 large tomatoes, diced
  • ½ bunch cilantro, cut off stems,  chopped
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • ¼- ½ cup water (depends on how thick you want your salsa. Omit for optimal thickness.)
  • Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste

Put in the fridge and let the flavors blend together for about an hour (if you can wait). Keep refrigerated. Makes about 3 pints or enough to serve 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment