Sunday, November 6, 2011

Oven Roasted Butternut Squash

Happy Halloween!


Oh what...? I'm like a week late. Yeah, I know but I don't really get around to blogging that much these days and I couldn't resist showing off the awesome pumpkins. Guess which one I made.

That's right, I made the spooky ghost/haunted mansion one! Andrew made the cute little guy on the left. He thought it would attract more trick-or-treaters and be kid friendly. Too bad we weren't even here on Halloween so didn't light them or pass out candy.


In keeping with the pumpkin family, I made butternut squash! It's a perfect fall treat! (What? I'm late again and it's already winter? Right.)

And it is a vegetable, healthy, yummy, and best part- incredibly simple to make. ...Once you get the hang of it.


I bought one of these at the store and brought it home super confident that I could do this on my own. I didn't need a recipe to tell me how to make a squash! So I cut it open with my super large knife and stared blankly at the little alien I was looking at.


I brought half of the thing over to Andrew and said, "What do you think I should do with the seed part? Do I cook them with it or throw it them away?" He responds uncharacteristically excited, "YEAH! Just scoop it out and poop them in the garbage!"

...Uhhhh what?

So I gave him a blank stare, and pooped those seeds in the garbage like I was told.

Enjoy!


Oven Roasted Butternut Squash
  • One large butternut squash
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cut the butternut squash open lengthwise. Remove the seeds.
  3. Stab holes in each half of the squash with a fork.
  4. Cover with butter, 1 tbs per side.
  5. Place the squash on a tin foil-covered cookie sheet. Pour the 1/2 cup of water on the sheet- this will keep the squash from drying out while baking.
  6. Cook for one hour or until soft and easily pierced by a fork.
  7. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
  8. Eat.

4 comments:

  1. i have been waiting for a very long time for you to post something new. just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time you should try them with cinnamon and sugar... thats how I grew up eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I just got that plate from Target!!

    and I am very impressed with your pumpkin carving skills. I would pay you to carve mine next Halloween.

    ReplyDelete