Sunday, February 20, 2011

Deep dish cookie for two.

I love this recipe. It took no time, used hardly any ingredients, and was delicious. That is my kind of cookie.

There's this restaurant at home called BJ's Brewery. They have killer pizza and cookies and I miss them a lot.  So, in a fit of nostalgia, I searched for the cookie recipe so I could have a treat from home.  It is called a Pizookie and it is a deep dish cookie. DEEP DISH COOKIE! I can't get over how great that is.


Here is what a pizookie looks like at BJ’s:




And here it how it came out chez nous!


They usually put ice cream on theirs but we didn’t have any and a good cookie can stand alone, you know what I mean?

I baked it for 10 minutes because at 6 it was raw, but I used a pan that was about 4 inches across so that could have something to do with it. The smaller the pan, the longer you gotta cook this sucker, you know?

We pretty much gobbled this up in 5 minutes flat. It was perfect: a little gooey on the inside –not under baked gooey, just delicious gooey- and perfect crispiness on the outer edges.

Yum.

We made the chocolate chunk, but I’ll post all the recipes just in case you want to try one of the other flavors. I love BJ’s peanut butter pizookie so I think I’ll try that one next.

This recipe is by Todd Wilbur, whoever that is. I just googled “BJ’s Pizookie recipe” and this is what came up but when I went back to find the link, I couldn’t.  Good thing I had saved it in my email.

BJ’s Famous and Delicious Pizookie



Ingredients:


Chocolate Chunk
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened 
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut 
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons white chocolate chunks (or chips) 
3 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts

Peanut Butter
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened 
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter 
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed 
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoon unsalted peanuts

Oatmeal Raisin Walnut
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened 
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed 
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
3 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts

2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
  1. 1.     Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
  2. 2.     Combine all ingredients (except for the flour and baking soda!) for cookie of your choice in a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth.
  3. 3.     Add flour and baking soda (plus oats and cinnamon if making the oatmeal raisin walnut cookie) and stir well by hand. Stir in remaining ingredients then press the dough into a small buttered pie pan, cake pan or 6-inch deep-dish pizza pan. (I used a 4 inch casserole pan and it worked great!)
  4. 4.     Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until cookie begins to brown (I cooked mine for 10 minutes). Cool for a minute or so, add 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream (optional), and serve.

As Todd said, “You might think that the cooking temperature of 475 degrees is extreme for a cookie, but since BJ's is a pizza joint, these suckers get cooked in cranked-up pizza ovens, and it works great. Not only will you have your cookie done in only 5 to 7 minutes, but also it'll be nice and brown on top, and slightly gooey in the center - all good things for a cookie, right?”

It's the perfect size to share, or be ambitious and consume it yourself. 

Either way, enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. i must try it. Pizookies make me think of you and I and all of our time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to BJ's once, tried the pizookie, and realized that I had never felt true love til then (sorry Lauren).

    One thing tho... am I missing something or did you not list the ingredients??

    One more thing: take any store-bought cookie dough (pillsbury, otis spunkmeyer, whatever it may be), put a couple scoops in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave for like 30 seconds, top with ice cream. This is not rocket science, people. But if you have never microwaved cookie dough, you gotta try this.

    Like the blog, Joce. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks Cameron. That would be an important part to include.

    I added them just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Kenzie,

    I COMPLETELY agree. It seems like most our time was spent over a pizookie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally making this. I love pizookies!

    P.S. We have BJ's in Florida, fyi, if that would help motivate you to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jocie! I want to subscribe to your blog but it isnt allowing me too! Any suggestions?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay these look amazing! I wanna be your husband so I can eat all your food. Andrew better be grateful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so I made these for the first time a couple of years ago and they worked out GREAT! I was shopping and saw ceramic dishes that I thought would be perfect for this, and I was right, they were the perfect size and cooked it perfectly. The next couple of times worked out well also. Then about 6 months later I made another that browned on the outside REALLY quickly but was still raw in the middle. I managed to make something out of them but it definitely wasn't a pizookie. I just made them tonight again, following instructions to the tee, and the same thing happened. I've used the same dishes each time, and since the last time I have moved, so they have failed on two different ovens. Any idea on what I could be doing wrong? This recipe is cheap and easy (the chocolate chips at least) so I'm going to experiment with chilling the dough for a while first, but if you have any ideas let me know.

    ReplyDelete